Welcome/Follow

If you like what you see - share it! Follow by email or subscribe if you want to know when I've posted something new! Thanks for your support!!!

Friday, August 13, 2010

Alexander and the...

My dog sometimes runs away.  I think he has a girlfriend at one of the neighbors' houses.  When I put him outside, I put him on a tie-out, so he isn't just running free.  This morning as I was taking the garbage out before work, I saw a blur fly by me, and he was off. 
He runs faster than I ever could, and I was carrying two garbage bags, so I just tried to call to him to get him to come back.  That didn't work.  I went inside and grabbed his leash and a plastic bag.   I had to get the bag as though I was really going to walk with him, because he knows if I don't have the bag to clean up after him, I'm faking.  So you can gather from that he's run off a time or two before.  I walked around the house, into the street, into the woods, and could not see him anywhere.  Finally, I had to give up and finish getting ready for work. 

When I was all set to go, I had a minute to spare, so I tried to get the dog to come back again.  I stepped outside and called his name.  I was so happy to hear his little feet come running up the path.  Until they ran right past me and into the woods.  I called and begged, but he wouldn't come back.  Finally, I gave up, locked the door, and got on my motorcycle to go to work.  I pulled out of my driveway and into my neighborhood.  After I made the last turn in my neighborhood before I reached a busy street, I looked in my mirrors.  I saw my dog, running full speed behind me down the middle of the road.  I couldn't let him follow me into the busy street, so I ditched my motorcycle on the side of the road, and got him to come to me.

As soon as he was in reach, I grabbed his collar.  Then I was stuck.  I was about a half mile from home.  There was no way to carry him on my motorcycle while I drove, and I couldn't walk with him while holding on to his collar, because he's only about knee high.  I didn't see much choice.  I picked up my 20 lb dog, and ran with him back to my house.  I work out somewhat regularly, but running isn't in my repertoire.  Especially not with a 20 lb weight to carry.  A 20 lb squirming weight that doesn't want to be carried.  So I started my day running down the streets of my neighborhood, in work clothes and a bandanna, carrying my dog, long braid flapping behind me, looking like the crazy lady of the neighborhood.  When I got to the house with him, and unlocked the door, he leaped from my arms and into the house.  THEN he wanted to go inside.  A little earlier would have been nice, puppy!  So by the time I ran all the way BACK to my bike, I was a sweaty mess.  I was also, then, late for work.  And my day only got worse from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment