Welcome/Follow

If you like what you see - share it! Follow by email or subscribe if you want to know when I've posted something new! Thanks for your support!!!

Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Bit of Ancient History

My name is Meghan.  I’m a 23 year old, working two jobs to support two cats and a new dog.  I have one sister in Seattle, one step sister in Alaska, and most of the rest of my family is in the Green Bay, WI area.  This includes a slightly neurotic Mother who is just now Empty Nesting 5 years after her youngest child moved out, a nice but standoffish father, and a stepmother who is trying to do her best.
I have maternal grandparents still around, and a wide assortment of aunts, uncles, and cousins.

In 2007 I moved down from WI to SC to escape the cold.  I sure managed that – the day I drove down, it was 106 degrees!  It was great – my car’s air conditioning broke, and both of my cats are Siamese.  That means that they yell.  Not meow, mind you, but scream, at the top of their small but surprisingly powerful lungs.  Now, without AC, they were overheating (both screaming and panting), so I had to come up with some way to cool them off (although having them faint from heatstroke would have provided some welcome quiet).  I stopped at a gas station, bought a bag of ice, and grabbed several plastic bags.  I packed the ice into bags into their kennels – which worked great until it melted (in about 2 seconds).  Then the ice water leaked out of the bags, and I had to drive the rest of the 1,000 miles with screaming, panting, wet and angry cats.  I’m glad we made it – we arrived exhausted, wet, sweaty, and disheveled, but we made it.

The nights here are beautiful, though.  It was the kind of South Carolina night that makes you glad to be alive - I've come to cherish them.  The sky was a breathtaking midnight blue velvet, with a scattering of stars.  The moon was nearly full, and a steady stream of wispy clouds blew quickly across it.  It was about 60 degrees.  I've spent many nights sitting outside, sipping a drink, reading a book, and enjoying the sounds of the breeze and cicadas.

No comments:

Post a Comment